11 Steps to claim your IT Refund

Uploaded by : DreamGains Financials, Posted on : 21 Aug 2015


It is tax filing time for all individuals. Once you file the tax then the next step is to look for getting Income Tax Refund at the earliest.

1) Filing of IT Returns Mandatory


Filing of IT Returns Mandatory


If you are looking for tax refund then you must file IT returns. IT Department will not do calculations on its own and never send your tax refund.

2) Filing IT Returns within time


Filing IT Returns within time


Never wait until last date (this year it is 31st August, 2015). Instead, try to file IT Return at the earliest. This is one of the easiest ways to get your tax refunds at the earliest.

3) Filing IT Returns online


Filing IT Returns online


From this year, it is mandatory to file IT returns online to those who are expecting tax refund. Therefore, never try to make it to file offline and stuck in procedural errors.

4) Matching Form 16 with Form 26AS


Matching Form 16 with Form 26AS


You have to crosscheck the TDS shows in Form 16 with Form 26AS. IT Department pays the refund amount based on the refund status available in Form 26AS. Hence, it is very much important to cross check it while filing IT Return.

5) Provide correct TAN number of tax deduction


Provide correct TAN number of tax deduction


TAN number is a unique number allotted to any entity that is eligible to deduct tax. Hence, locate the TAN number, which is available in Form 16, and mention it while filing IT Return. If you mention it wrongly then IT Department may not pay you the refund (due to mismatch) or send you notice.

6) Submit correct Bank details


Submit correct Bank details


If you opted for direct credit to your bank account, then you must provide the correct bank details. Any wrong information may lead to delay in tax refunds. You have to submit the bank information such as bank A/c (at least 10 digits) and MICR code of bank branch and communication address.

7) Submit correct Address

If you opted for physical delivery of refund (i.e. through cheque), then you must provide the correct address. If you provide the wrong address then the cheque will go back to IT Department. This leads to unnecessary delay in getting refunds.


Submit correct Address


In case you received the cheque by late and date of encashment cheques is already over then contact your AO. This leads to issue of new cheque.

8) Name in Bank must match with a name on PAN

If your name on the bank account is different from the name present in PAN card then this leads to delay in refund. In case your refund status showing as “Paid”, but you did not receive the amount then first contact your bank. If there is no issues, then contact the below address of SBI Bank. Because State Bank of India is a refund manager of Income Tax Department in India.


Name in Bank must match with a name on PAN


Cash Management Product (CMP)

State Bank of India


31, Mahal Industrial Estate

Off Mahakali Caves Road

Andheri (East)

Mumbai – 400 093.

Phone Number: 18004259760 or email at itro@sbi.co.in

9) Choose the correct ITR Form


Choose the correct ITR Form


It is so simple to choose one’s IT Return form. Still many people wrongly chose the forms. This wrong filing leads to delay in tax refunds.

10) Track your refund

If you have not received the tax refund then track the refund status as and when required. This track leads to take immediate measures to avoid further delay.



Track your refund

Search for refund


You can track your refund status by visiting IT Department Refund Status portal.

If after following all above said steps, you are not able to get your refund then contact the IT Department.

For any refund related query, the taxpayer should contact Aaykar Sampark Kendra at 0124 2438000 or email at refunds@incometaxindia.gov.in.

For refund related query/ or any modification in refund record relating to Return processed at CPC Bangalore, the CPC may be contacted by the taxpayer on 1-8004252229 or 080-43456700.

11) Final resort, use RTI

If you did not get the refund within the time and no response to your complaint then as a last resort, use RTI. There is no prescribed format to write an RTI. You have to pay Rs.10 as a fee for this, which can be paid by postal order, pay order, or even in the form of court fee stamp. In application, provide all details like name, pan number, year of assessment year, PAN number and refund amount you are expecting.


Final resort, use RTI


You have to submit the application to the commissioner of income tax, under which your jurisdiction falls.


Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/html/dreamgains.com/wp-content/plugins/disqus-comment-system/disqus.php on line 232